Adult handball or handball matches have a duration of 60 minutes. Two parts consisting of 30 minutes each. In the youth category (12 to 16 years). It lasts two times of 25 minutes, while for the category of 8 to 12 years it lasts two times of 20 minutes. In all the categories, the rest lasts 10 minutes.
Handball is a sport in which two teams with seven people each have the objective of moving a ball with their hands to the goal of the opposing team. Handball is a very popular sport in Europe and Latin America, where it is known as handball or handball. You could say that this sport has a lot of resemblance to a football game but played with hands.
If there is no winner at the end of the regulation time, an additional time is given to the match of 10 minutes, again divided into two parts of 5 minutes each. Added to the rest times, each time an infraction is committed the referee stops the time. That is why the match can be extended more than 60 minutes. It is estimated that a handball match can last up to 1 hour and a half in its entirety.
The duration of the handball matches will depend on two factors, the categories, and the circumstances.
- According to the category: the hand is divided into: children, youth and adults.
- According to the circumstance : additional times that are incorporated into the game, with the objective of winning.
What is and how is handball or handball played?
Handball was originated in Germany. It is the youngest sport among those who play with a ball. A match is made up of two teams consisting of 7 players each. Six of them from the field and one goalkeeper. It is a field sport, with the main objective of scoring most goals in the opposing team’s goal. It is very similar to football, But unlike the game without the feet.
Also Read: How Long Is A Volleyball Game?
This game is very interesting and full of technical combinations of other sports. Like the other sports, the handler has some basic and important rules:
- No feet: Field players will play without touching the ball with their feet while, the goalkeeper can escape from this rule.
- Goal area: Only the goalkeeper can be in the goal area. because, if another player enters he can be penalized: Faults may vary depending on the way the player enters the goal area.
- Possession of the ball: Each player can only have the maximum ball for 3 seconds.
- Steps: Each player can take 3 steps as a limit.
Curious facts about handball
- The balls that are used during a handball match are usually always dirty because players use a special glue on their hands to get more grip.
- In a handball game , you can use any limb of the body except the feet, you can even use legs and knees.
- Zoran Milukic, is the name of the Croatian player with the most goals in a handball match in Guadalajara, reaching 21 goals in a match.
- Originally, handball was a sport hardly played by women.